The 2017 Society of Ohio Archivists’ Annual meeting–Keeping History Alive–will be held Friday, May 19 at the Quest Business and Conference Center, 8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus, OH 43240. Kathleen Williams, Executive Director of the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) will be the Plenary Speaker.
Deadline to submit proposals: Monday, January 9, 2017, 5pm.
The SOA 2017 Program Committee seeks a broad array of creative proposals, sessions and posters, related to archival work today and into the future. All proposal topics are welcome.
Possible ideas include, but are not limited to:
- Tools for archival discovery, maintenance, and/or marketing
- Outreach and instruction efforts
- Student, intern, and volunteer experiences and projects
- Funding for archival projects or archival facilities
- Unique collection development ventures
- Preservation, description, and access to analog, born-digital, or hybrid collections
The Program Committee encourages proposals of panel sessions, student and professional posters, as well as alternative formats such as debate, fish bowl, lightning, mini-workshops, pecha kucha, world café, and other session formats that encourage interaction between presenters and attendees.
The Program Committee also encourages proposals from students*, new professionals*, first time presenters and attendees, as well as individuals from related professions, including those from outside of Ohio.
Proposals must include:
- Session/Poster title and type
- Abstract of 250 words describing the session/poster and how it will be of interest to SOA attendees
- Description of 150 words for the printed program
- Main contact’s information and any other participants
- A/V or technology requirements
- Any additional special needs
Please complete the proposal form by Monday, January 9, 2017, 5pm at https://goo.gl/forms/XDyBD72rhRlraMg73
More meeting details will appear as they develop at http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/
Questions? Please contact:
Cochairs, Society of Ohio Archivists Educational Programming Committee
*Separate from the Call for Proposals, SOA is pleased to announce four scholarships available to students (2 awards), and new archival professionals (2 awards) with three years or less experience in the workplace to attend the annual meeting.
The scholarship consists of conference registration (including lunch), a one-year membership to SOA, and a $100 travel stipend. Awardees are required to write about their experience for publication in the Ohio Archivist newsletter.
Applications should include the following information:
- Applicant’s name, mailing and e-mail address;
- Students should list their school’s name and academic program;
- New professionals should list their employer and number of years working within the field;
- Description about how the meeting will benefit the applicant professionally;
- Brief description of the applicant’s scholarship and contribution to archives. This will be taken into consideration along with the applicant’s number of years in the field or academic study;
- Statement of the applicant’s need for financial support to attend the conference;
- Applications are due by February 15, 2017.
Applications and inquiries can be sent via e-mail or mail to: Devhra BennettJones, Devhra@Lloydlibrary.org, Lloyd Library, 917 Plum St, Cincinnati, OH 45202.